Generalist freelance illustrators are readily available. Unearthing Illustration Artists that continually deliver a premium quality service is in scarcer supply. Do you require the services of a talented and creative freelance illustrator?
As the name suggests, the primary focus of a professional graphic artist or illustrator is in creating graphics or pictures for use in a variety of industry settings. Freelance illustrators specialize in vector based drawings utilizing custom software. Common projects requiring an illustrator include:
- Illustrations for books or publications - Newspapers, magazines, and book publishers all routinely engage Illustrators to produce custom graphics and drawings.
- Concept art and character designs - Illustrators are frequently responsible for unique toy designs, entertainment art or cartoon imagery that materializes across a diverse range of products and media.
- Clothing and Textiles - Clothing labels habitually outsource the design aspect of clothing. Consider t-shirt illustrations and textile patterns. An illustrator is deeply involved in the custom design process.
- Entertainment - From comics to video games, movies to TV, Illustrators are integral to the design and animation journey.
- Packaging - Less frequently perhaps, but equally importantly, Illustrators lend support to packaging design for products where custom imagery is demanded.
Adobe Illustrator is the vector editing program of choice for a vast majority of experts that operate in this niche. Artists mastermind and create drawings or illustrations often termed outline art. Characteristic of outline art, following the formulation of a shape's outline, a program takes responsibility for completing the shape to construct a solid image.
Undoubtedly, Adobe Illustrator is the most ubiquitous illustration software, suitable for diverse applications including print, logo design and web mock-ups. A range of equally effective tools exist on the market that an illustrator may choose to specialize in. These include Corel Draw X6, SVG-Edit, Inkscape, Serif DrawPlus X5, Sketch and Affinity Designer.
What level of formal training do you expect from an illustrator? Commonly graphic artists possess a mix of formal study such as art training or specialist degree level education. In some instances, however, Illustrators are wholly self-taught. Routinely you will be exposed to a mix of two backgrounds. When hiring a specialist illustrator, it is important to weigh up skills and experience against any desired qualification you may require.
One of the more common places to locate top illustrators is through a curated freelance community such as Freelancer.com. Freelance artists will promote their skills by way of an online portfolio targeting prospective clients. At Freelancer.com you can browse individual showcases to identify a suitable artist for any project.
The freelance process works similarly to any design project. The client submits a design brief to the community, and interested freelancers respond by pitching their skills. Once an Illustrator is selected, key milestones may include sketches and concept art, several rounds of drafts, to final design and edits. Every stage requires client approval. Money is never released until a client is 100% satisfied unless interim milestones were agreed at the outset for partial job completion.
A contest is a fantastic option for creative projects such as illustration. The process differs slightly. Interested parties submit basic designs to attract a client’s attention. The most appropriate design is advanced with, and any modifications necessary are discussed with the illustrator.
Freelancer.com is a leading online workplace boasting hundreds of first class Illustrators. Post your design job today and hire one of the talented artists.