On one hand there is a database (csv excel compatible file) with words in english extracted from a book and sorted by frequency; ? on the other hand a home-made websit[e]to learn english vocabulary: a word in french is displayed, the user has to type the english equivalent. The project consists in:
- uploading the csv file to the educational site (ASP, VB);
- removing from the csv file words already listed in the website database;
- adding the french translation in the csv file if one is available on? [wordreference], or removing the line should it be otherwise;
- delivering the amended csv file.
- Example of a ? csv file attached (document 1). A typical file is about 12000 lines long.
- the first (most common) translation is the one chosen. It appears on wordreference after the 1. meaning "first acception".
- Not only words are listed, but also phrases, for example "football gear". The program must be able to find the entry "football ~? tenue? f? de football", on the page "gear", ~ standing for "gear" and write "tenue de football" next to "football gear". The program must also recognize "to be ~ed up" as to be geared up, and find the corresponding translation.
- When detailed informations are given with the translation, they are put in another column. Example for "gear": 1.? (equipment)? matériel? m;. column english: gear; column french: matériel; column details: equipment.