I teach game develoment on Udemy, an online market place for courses. I have a community of over 10,000 student developers and I'd like to merge from my course page into a community website focused around game development.
I've purchased the entire suite of WoltLab - [login to view URL]
It has all the features my ultimate community needs.
Below is wording about the purpose of the site as well as mapped out important page details.
Purpose of the site :
I want students to have purpose and reasoning for coming to GameDevJon.com. GameDevJon is suppose to be a site for game development news and resources (my courses). I’d like to expand it to combine the functionality of Gamasutra (indie game reviews and MOST IMPORTANTLY user blogs) In Game development, it’s important for students to document their journey, write tutorials, etc. Users can maintain a blog, and also on their profiles, will be a portfolio page where they can host a gallery of their projects. Basically, combining the site with Behance. Great example of a users portfolio on my site should look like this: [login to view URL]
The forums are for community engagement and discussion. Great for support threads.
My Ideal Landing Page Designed Towards Game Development and Selling my Courses but also having Blogs/articles on the home page.: [login to view URL] -- It’s just a super high quality home page. I love it!
User Blogs -- [login to view URL] the ability for user blogs. I’d like to have a section where you can read all user blogs. Also have the option to feature on the home page. Design wise, I love how [login to view URL] has their articles laid out.
On the profile page of the user, it should display their blog posts, and also their portfolio of projects. I’d like it to look like a Behance profile: [login to view URL]
- Similar to [login to view URL]
- Rotating Banner Display - Used to advertise courses
- Sign Up for Discounts -- Collect emails. Flashy sign up form
- Top News Section(This could be game dev resources, Latest blog post, latest game review)
- Top Games Section (This could be removed?)
- Footer - relative footer links
User Blogs Page:
- Similar to the layout of Articles seen here: [login to view URL]
User Profile Page:
- [login to view URL] -- Love everything about this.
- Clearly shows the projects he’s worked on.
- Has his profile information on the left.
- Has two tabs. Projects | appreciated
- Change appreciated to blog
- When selected, it displays that users blog
I’ll create message boards. In terms of design -- ???
Basically creating an ultimate community where they can use my one site for everything from game reviews, user owned blogs, to hosting their portfolios, and engaging in the community forum boards.
Any additional information you'd like to know, please let me know!