Write a custom WordPress template with new design and logo for www.rights.no.
Please: send references and examples of your work.
HRS is a political think tank in Norway working on the immigration and
integration field. We believe in freedom of expression, freedom of religion, equality between sexes, clans and castes — and economically and culturally sustainable politics. Through our web pages we wish to express that we are a serious organization working to promote values of freedom, cooperation, basically human rights.
Requirements for the new design (compared to the existing one on [login to view URL]):
- lighter colours. Not too strong blue or red, better to mix a bit.
- need a new logo that should contain exactly “HRS” (short form of
organization name and “[login to view URL]” both in one image. This image should be on the webpage an will be used when sharing articles in social media like Facebook. Please provide a somewhat large version of the logo or in vector graphics format (for example SVG) so that it can be scaled to a proper solution in various situations later on.
- the front page should make effective use of the space for a number of
articles to be shown at the same time. The size of the page should be adapted to the size of the web browser. Another important aspect that the page should feel too tight or cramped, there should be some whitespace between elements.
- one advanced position on the front page must be made for a “promoted”, or “featured” article that is easy to see. Will be used to make readers reminded of the most important article of the day or week.
- please put styles in CSS, not directly in the HTML. This makes the pages more easy to maintain.
- we want the template files to be written in a way that they should easily
be editable by hand with an editor for adjustments. We often add/modify
things there with our own PHP code.
- the front page should have four main different categories. The number of articles displayed per category on the front page is estimated to be around 40% (news), 20% (comments), 20% (guest articles), 20% (short news). Ideally these categories would begin different sections on the front page. But if
that makes it difficult for having the page size adapt to the browser
window size, we may have to let the articles float freely on the page
disregarding category (but with category name show on the page)?
- front page needs space for social media buttons, as well as a textbox to subscribe for articles by email, see how this is done on [login to view URL] today.
- prominent space on the front page must be made for reports (HRS
publications). HRS releases 2-3 big reports per year. It’s important that
it is easy to find these on the front page. The publications/reports is a
separate category of posts. See upper right corner on [login to view URL] for how this is done today.
- we probably still want a menu row on the front page. Today we have choices for “follow us”, “about HRS”, “give support” and “archive”. These links must be available still, and should be easy to edit.
Today we use WP Touch Pro to create mobile versions of articles. We probably want to continue doing that, but if you have any ideas about mobile pages let us know.
We want to see sketches for the logo and design before agreeing to go further with the proposals. Our focus is to have a good quality on the new design, but we are also price conscious. Initially we want to do a one time job to have a new logo and theme for the pages (which are already in WordPress). But if we are happy with the design and how we are treated, there will be possibilities for more paid work improving and developing the pages further later on.